Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Tuesday Tunesday - Vale Sophia

I know its slightly late, but Tuesday Tunesday today pays tribute to Estelle Getty, who was best known for playing the wise cracking Sophia Petrillo on the Golden Girls. She was the first of the four to be hired on the show and was 2 and a half months younger than Bea Arthur who was cast as her daughter. She died in her own home in the early hours of yesterday after battling Lewy Body Dementia, a progressive brain disease.

I have had this fabulous necklace in my etsy faves for so long and it seems apropriate to show its awesomeness now. I think I may need to actually buy it now.All of the characters were great, but she always had the best lines on the show - such a fiesty pensioner. Here are a couple of my favourite quotes from imdb

Sophia : Dorothy, where I come from you learn never to turn your back on family! NEVER! When your crazy cousin Nunzio started living with his pet goat, did the family turn their back on him? No. And after a couple of nights neither did the goat.
Rose: I stopped in a diner and Blanche, there's a egg dish named after you.
Blanche: Really? How are they prepared?
Sophia: Over-easy.

So to end on a nice note, (that was a music joke folks) here is the fabulous theme song that I have had in my head all day since hearing it on the radio this morning. Even though it was one sided love affair- thankyou for being a friend Estelle

2 comments:

Brown Button Trading said...

that is gorgeous. and I can't believe sophia was younger?! - you always know the important stuff. not quite sure about the necklace though pip.....

I ♥ You said...

that necklace is a MUST!!! some say The Golden Girls were Sex and the City all grown up. I kind of have to agree. Samantha is such a Blanche!!!